Tuesday, February 25, 2014

F A R E W E L L



A story was told of a man having a conversation with the Lord one day: He said, “Lord I would like to know what heaven and hell are like.”

The Lord led the man to two doors. He opened one of the doors, and the man looked inside. In the middle of the room was a large round table. In the middle of the table was a large pot of stew, which smelled delicious and made the man’s mouth water. The people sitting around the table were thin and sickly and they appeared to be famished. They were holding spoons with very long handles that were strapped to their arms. Each found it possible to reach into the pot of stew and take a spoonful, but because the handle was longer than their arms, they could not get the spoons back into their mouths. The man shuddered at the sight of their misery and suffering. 

Then they went to the next room and opened the door. It was exactly the same as the first one. There was a large round table with a large pot of stew that made the man’s mouth water. The people were equipped with the same long handled spoon strapped to their arms, but here the people were nourished and plump, laughing and talking.

The man then said..”I don’t understand?” 

“It is simple.” Said the Lord. “It requires but one skill. You see in the second room, they have learned to feed each other. while in the first room the greedy think of themselves.”

On our journey in life, we are not alone. There are others we know who may be wandering in darkness. Who do not understand their divine destiny and who do not understand they are not alone. They do not know they are precious in the eyes of their Heavenly Father. 

Both of my older sisters were cheerleaders in high school and they thought that I should follow in their footsteps. But I had other plans. I always told them “why would I want to cheer, when I could actually play the game.” I started at a young age working at my basketball skills thinking I would someday be a super star. That’s not exactly what happened. The lesson that I learned was in order for a team to be successful, it has to have role players. I wasn’t a starter but when I got in I knew what my role was. Our heavenly father needs role players as well. 

Our Heavenly Father has sent us to this earth with a purpose for us. We each have a specific role in his plan. When we comprehend our worth and our destiny, we will fully understand that it is our opportunity and blessing to serve and LOVE all Heavenly Father’s children. To be our “brothers keeper”.

 In D&C section 11 verses 3-5: it says..“Behold, the field is white already to harvest; therefore, who desireth to reap let him thrust in his sickle with all his might and reap while the day lasts, that he may treasure up for his soul everlasting salvation in the kingdom of God. Yea, whosoever will thrust in his sickle and reap, the same is called of God. Therefore, if you will ask of me you shall receive; if you will knock it shall be opened unto you.”

After reading that scripture, the idea of dropping everything and leaving the life I know behind suddenly becomes a lot less difficult. It is such an honor to think that I’m going to be a part of this marvelous work. Honestly that’s one of the things I’m looking forward to most on my mission - the perfect knowledge that I’m doing exactly what Heavenly Father wants me to do, and I know I will be blessed. 

The true purpose is to share this truth we know with other sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father. If you ever have had to do something scary or overcome a challenge, think about your life for a second if you had no exposure to this church. If you lived your life without its guidance and assistance. I don’t know about you, but I’m positive I wouldn't be half the person I am today. I have been given so much knowledge about the gospel and it is a pleasure and a responsibility for me to share that knowledge.

We have been given so much from our Heavenly Father, literally everything we have is because of Him. All he asks of us is to share his love with his other sons and daughters. He wants to bless all of us. Heavenly Father knows each and everyone us, but not all of us know who He is. We have to do our part to have others re-establish their connection to Him and in turn share in this happiness we have. 

In Mosiah we read: “And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.”

There once was a king who had a great highway built for the members of his kingdom. After it was completed, but before it was opened to the public, the king decided to have a contest. He invited as many as desired to participate. Their challenge was to see who could travel the highway the best.On the day of the contest the people came. Some of them had fine chariots, some had fine clothing, fine hairdos, or great food. Some young men came in their track clothes and ran along the highway. People traveled the highway all day, but each one, when he arrived at the end, complained to the king that there was a large pile of rocks and debris left on the road at one spot and this got in their way and hindered their travel.

At the end of the day, a lone traveler crossed the finish line warily and walked over to the king. He was tired and dirty, but he addressed the king with great respect and handed him a bag of gold. He explained, "I stopped along the way to clear a pile of rocks and debris that was blocking the road. This bag of gold was under it all. I want you to return it to its rightful owner."

The king replied, "You are the rightful owner."

The traveler replied, "Oh no, this is not mine. I've never known such money."

"Oh yes," said the king, "you've earned this gold, for you won my contest. "He who travels the road best is he who makes the road smoother for those who will follow."

No matter what our circumstances may be, we can always make others lives run a little smoother. And I know that our lives run the best they possibly can when we are in harmony with the Holy Spirit. Above anything else, the best way we can help uplift and strengthen others is by sharing this gospel that others may have the peace of the Holy Ghost. By following the example of the elderly man in the story I know we’ll be blessed beyond our comprehension.

I live the gospel not out of blind obedience, but because it makes me happy and I know 
it’s the only way to real lasting joy which is what our Father in Heaven wants for us. 

Joseph Smith said: “happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it; and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God; and as God has designed our happiness- and the happiness of all His creatures, He never has-He never will institute an ordinance or give a commandment to His people that is not calculated in its nature to promote that happiness which He has designed, and which will not end in the greatest amount of good and glory to those who become the recipients of His law and ordinances.”

That is the quote that sums up the gospel for me. What an incredible teaching and what a blessing that we know of this doctrine. 

I can’t reemphasize enough how blessed we are. I know personally when I look back at the impact this true church has had on my life, I’m amazed. I am so happy and I feel so blessed that I have been able to grow up with a life centered around this church. 

Standing from here, I can see where my family has sat during sacrament as bishop Lee; bishop Graff, bishop Astle, and bishop Miller have taught me great gospel principles. I can see where I was blessed as a baby; I can see where my sister Carley spoke at her seminary graduation. I can see where my brother Cade has passed the sacrament for the first time and continues to pass it each week. I can see where I was sitting when I watched my sister Courtney give her mission farewell talk and I can see where I sat with my sweet ctr 5 class during the primary program. I love this church so much. When we experience the blessings of gospel living, we naturally want to share those blessings with others.

I heard a story once about a father and son who had gone on an overnight camp out and while they were camping they decided go and explore a tunnel leading to a cave they had heard about. It was a completely pitch black tunnel. As they started to crawl through the tunnel that led to the cave the boy began to get pretty scared and at times he didn't even know if I was going in the right direction. He scraped his knees and shoulders on several occasions. Right when things began to get overwhelming he cried out to his father for help. His father passed the boy a flashlight so that he was less afraid and so he could finally see where he was going. 

At times our own lives can seem like that dark cave, feeling misguided and lost, as we experience many bumps and bruises along the way. However, we are very fortunate to have a Father in Heaven who loves us dearly and desires nothing more than to help us. If we follow the guidance in D&C 11 Verse 5 - Ask and ye shall receive: knock and it shall be opened unto you.” We just need to ask of our Heavenly Father to light up the cave that leads to the literal and figurative light at the end of the tunnel, the Celestial Kingdom.

(D&C 6:34, 36). “Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail. … Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not”

 As Latter-day Saints, ours is not the option of doubting and fearing. Ours is the opportunity of believing and acting.

I have gained a testimony of this while serving as a ctr 5 primary teacher over the past 6 months. When I first received the calling I was scared and felt incapable. i was worried that I would not be able to teach the kids what they needed to know and I was afraid I would fail. Teaching these incredible children each week has blessed my life more then I could have imagined. They have strengthened my testimony and have taught me so much. I am thankful for the opportunity that I have had to be with them each week. I will always cherish their sincere prayers. They have so much faith and surety that their prayers are heard and will be answered. We have had prayers in our class asking heavenly father to bless our bishop, to bless their parents, to bless their toys, to not let the world blow up, and sweet Camilla Patterson who always asks Heavenly Father specifically to bless sister Cosgrove on her mission, that she will be able to find people to teach about the church. Hearing their prayers each week and seeing the light of Christ in each and every one of them has taught me to fear not, and only believe. 

Through this experience I have come to realize that I may have been scared to start with….but fear can be replaced with faith and confidence when we put our trust in the lord, anything is possible. I am excited for the opportunities ahead of me. I know that I will continue to have fears and obstacles that I will have to face on my mission. But I know if I can have the faith that my sweet primary children do, I will be able to overcome them. 

I am so excited to serve the Lord on my Mission. I have been preparing for this all of my life, and I’m truly excited to share what I have been given with the people of Wisconsin. 

Truly the field is white and ready to harvest, and we get the great opportunity to do our part in this great and marvelous work. We just need to thrust in our sickles for the harvest is white and bring Heavenly Father’s children back to him.




No comments:

Post a Comment