Monday, March 17, 2014

A W E E K O F F I R S T S

Hello fam!
Man let me just say how crazy it is to be here in good old Racine Wisconsin! ha I’m a missionary and loving it! Holy cow! You guys have a lot of questions, so I’m going to do my best to be able to answer them, but I also want to tell you all about my week and the experiences that I have had, and I want to send you my pictures. So I’ll do my best! I just want to start off by saying how much I love you guys! You are the best thing ever and I miss you all so much! I’m grateful for all your love and support! Mom thanks for emailing me and keeping me updated about things going on at home. I really love to hear all about home and how you guys are doing, so keep that up! I love you Mom!  It really is the best to hear from you! Dad thanks for the email. Man I cried throughout the whole thing. Our goodbye was tough! I love you Dad! Thank you so much for emailing me and for all the great advice. I love reading emails from you and Mom! You’re so positive and you give me motivation to keep working my hardest.  IM SO GLAD YOU ARE GOING TO THE DR. I’m praying for you and hope you start to get better soon! You have been sick way too long!  Also, thank you for the quote Dad! I just loved it. Days are hard and long, but I really have learned to rely on Heavenly Father. It really helps to pray to him for comfort and for strength.

CADE-O!  Bud I miss you and love you! Keep working hard in school and keep working hard in basketball.. you little all star! Cade I am praying for you every day.  Dad keep pushing Cade in basketball!  Even though he may not seem interested…Don’t give up on him! He may act like he doesn’t want your help, but he loves it. I know through experience. ;) Car how is the baby?? I love and miss you SO much!  Have you had anymore doctors visits? I want to hear all about them! How is cute baby “Elle” doing??;)  Courtney I love and miss you so much too! How is little Oliver doing?? I hear he is being a rascal and starting to turn over. I can’t believe that... he is a rascal indeed…and growing too too fast!
Anyways about my week....

So yes like you know I have 2 companions. So I don’t know why I’m in a trio but it has been pretty good. I started off being really nervous about it, it freaked me out to start with, but I am getting used to it.  It really has not been too bad and we get along pretty well! Yesterday my companions got into an argument and I felt awkward so I just sat there.  I wanted to say “Stop being dumb and just stop.”  However, I decided I should probably just keep my mouth shut and wait for them to work it out.  They did, and we moved on.  That has been the only weird thing so far.  Oh gosh the drama with females! Ha ha    

So this week was good. You really do have to get adjusted to get used to this lifestyle. It’s just so different but it’s really fun! So we are teaching a couple people and it has been really cool! Besides this one experience that I had as we were teaching kiarra and her mother Sulema. So they have a dog that reminds me just of the “Taco Bell dog”. I was sitting on the couch and we are just talking when all the sudden the stupid dog jumps on the couch and starts to hump my arm. (excuse the descriptive words) I didn’t know what to do!!!! HA HA HA  Here I am..a total newbie… 2 days out and I can’t get the dog off my arm. My companions are laughing so hard and Sulema didn’t do anything about it.  Nothing!  So, I’m like uhhhh?? I’m just going to put you on the ground. I pick the dog up and set him on the ground... and then he just jumps back up and continues to grab onto my arm. AHHH!!  Finally, Sulema grabs him and holds him so he can’t get to me anymore. I just couldn’t believe that little joy of an experience that I had! I’m like for real and my companions just thought it was hilarious! Needless to say, I was a little distracted in the little lesson we had!

On Friday we had the opportunity to help a lady who is not a member clean her house because she has been kicked out of her home. She needs help packing things ups! Let me just say how much I already LOVE DOING SERVICE. It’s the BEST! Anyways, my companions are telling me how nasty this ladies house is and how terrible it smells. I just didn’t really think much about it and was just thinking.. “How bad could it really be???” So we knock on her door, and she opens the door and her house smells like death. Like so bad! It was so bad... I had a hard time not gagging. Like wow!  Anyway, I turn the corner and I see an episode of  “Hoarders”.  I’m not exaggerating.  I thought that I was witnessing and actually experiencing an episode of the TV show “Hoarders”. Wow it was insane. We stayed there for just over 2 hours helping her and we will be going back this week to help her again. We are excited to try to teach her once her house is finished. She was crying and very appreciative and said she had been praying for angels and we were her angels! It was pretty sweet.

My companions have been teaching a man named Eric. He is getting baptized this Saturday! How cool is that, that I’m going to be here and able to be a part of this! I’m so excited. I had the opportunity to meet Eric and help teach him his last lesson!  He is such a cool guy with such a sweet spirit

We went tracking one of the days and I knocked on my very first door. I was so nervous but I knew I had to do it!!! I knocked and said to the man that opened.....”Hello, we are missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints! We would like to share with you a message about Christ! I was scared.. but I did it.  He was very nice but told us that he was Lutheran and has been for his whole life and that he wasn’t interested.  No, he didn’t let us in and no he didn’t let us teach him, but I was able to experience that.. and it was really incredible!

Those are the highlights of my week! We also were able to visit with some less actives, most of them don’t answer and some of them are not home, but we are going to keep trying! It’s funny the excuses that some people come up with!

Oh yeah, one more story… we were able to teach a lady named Michelle. She was crazy let me tell you! I’ve never experienced anything like that before. Ha ha We prayed with her and the minute she finished she said to us that God was talking to her her... and said "wait here he is".  She kept telling us the spirits were talking to her and that God would interrupt and start talking to her.  She was very nice, sweet, but it was the strangest experience ever!  She was just so odd and just a little sketchy.  We teach her again this week, so I will sure let you know how that goes!.

Now to your questions:

So like I said I have 2 companions. Yes, we live in a house with members that are in our ward! It is really nice. We are all in 1 room, and I don’t even have a bed. I sleep on a mattress on the floor. Ha ha It’s really okay, at least I have a mattress.  We have the upstairs to ourselves. We share a bedroom and we have a bathroom and another room to study in. Kenosha is where we go to church. There is not a LDS church in Racine..but Kenosha is not far, so we go there!  We just do our laundry here mom:) so it’s nice to live in this house because we have access to the washer and dryer.  Yes, we have used my workout book! My companions love it!! Ha ha  We just sweat so hard! But yeah, we have been exercising really hard actually :)  Food wise I have just been eating the food that they have. I get to buy some of my own food today because we are going to the grocery store. But every day I’ve been here I’ve eaten tuna for lunch. Ha ha ha and I have been eating cereal.  I am hungry all the time! I feel weird eating the food that they have, so I’m excited to get some for myself now:) p.s. Iit’s not the white tuna, it is brown… so it kind of freaks me out! The weather here… Ha ha Iit’s cold and really windy and that makes it super cold! I don’t think I’m going to need a coat or boots because we drive everywhere. We are too out of the way to walk it would take us forever, so yeah I’ll be okay I think until it starts to get cold again next winter. It is really cold. The wind is brutal and it just comes right through you!  

My Mission President and his wife are the sweetest! The first night when we stayed with them they fed us really good food and showed us so much love! On p-days we go to the library to email.  The missionaries play sports. Usually they go to the church to play basketball, but it’s being used today so we are going to play football. Should be interesting and FREEZING, but I’m excited..it should be fun:) Our plans for today is leave the library, go get some food at Walmart..I am excited! Then they want to go to some thrift store and then we are meeting the other missionaries to play football.  I am excited!  That’s all the plans we have for today! J

Hopefully you can understand what I’ve said to you! I’m feeling like I’m just jabbering on!
Anyways mom I sure love you! Thank you for the email and for the updates from home! I love you guys a lot. You are always in my prayers..... I’m wondering if I could get Ruth’s address I have a thank you letter to send to her but I can’t until I have her address, so if I could get that, that would be awesome! I am so grateful for all of you! Know that I’m doing well here and you don’t need to worry about me! I can’t wait to talk to you guys next week!
xoxoxoxoxo

---Sister Cosgrove

Ps. I know I spelled words wrong and I didn’t do good grammar and my punctuation was hit and miss but put up with me, I’m in a hurry to email and get some pictures attached. Love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment